Helen, Georgia is the third most popular destination in Georgia, and with good reason! Alpine Helen is a German-themed village that feels like you have stepped into a different world.
Not only is the Bavarian-themed downtown fun for the family, the surrounding area is rich with waterfalls, mountain vistas, and forests with miles of hiking trails. It is a perfect combination of a charming European-inspired village with lots of amenities tucked into the woods.
Helen, Georgia camping opportunities provide a great mix of full-hookup sites, primitive tent camping, tent camping sites with amenities and even furnished cabins available to rent. So no matter how you enjoy camping, there is some place for you in North East Georgia.
From incredible state parks to private campgrounds, most of these destinations are only a short drive from downtown Helen. Which means you can get a huge pretzel, shop the quaint stores and enjoy an afternoon of tubing down the river and be back at your campsite for dinner around the campfire.
These are the best campgrounds we found for camping near Helen, GA during our recent visit.
RV Parks and Camping Near Helen, GA
Unicoi State Park
Located only 2.4 miles from downtown Helen, Georgia, the Unicoi State Park & Lodge’s campground offers a variety of luxury RV sites, secluded tent campsites, and tent glamping options.
Set within the 1,029 acre state park and open year-round, this popular campground offers 24-hour check-in at the park’s Visitor Center and store.
To avoid peak crowds, consider staying at this campground in the slower months, January through early March, or consider weekdays in lieu of the more crowded weekends.
Check-in time is 1 PM for the campground and check-out is 12 noon.
Visitors can book reservations one year prior to their intended departure date.
See our video tour driving through the 3 loops of Unicoi State Park’s campground below:
Unicoi State Park Campground also offers two unique camping options for a unique getaway.
The first is the Squirrel’s Nest, which allows campers to bring their own hammock or sleeping bag to sleep under covered primitive camping platforms. The platforms are off the ground and stacked up the side of a ridge in three groups of 2, and two groups of 5.
Each platform can accommodate 4 guests in sleeping bags. Tents are not allowed in these camping sites.
The Squirrel’s Nest primitive campsites are perfect for true outdoor adventurers, larger groups, or scout troops.
For those seeking a more refined outdoor camping option without an RV, the park also offers Glamping Sites.
The Site 15 Glamping Tent offers a king size bed and two bunk beds. Sites 14 and 16 have two Queen beds, while Site 12 has one Queen Bed and 1 bunk bed.
All four glamping tent sites offer fully furnished Safari Tents that include:
- Mini refirgerator
- Rugs, lamps, and other home decor
- Electrical outlets
- Ceiling fan and residential A/C & Heating
- Fire ring
- Charcoal grill
- String lights
- Camp chairs
- Picnic table
- 2 hammocks
The campground offers the following types of camp sites:
- 6 ‘Double Buddy’ RV Sites (can accommodate 2 RVs)
- 31 RV sites with power and water
- 13 Full hookup RV sites
- 2 Full Hookup ADA sites are available
When booking, keep in mind that the amps vary at different sites. Both 30 Amp and 50 amp sites are available, but confirm what is at the site when you are booking.
RV sites can vary in length from 30-40 feet. If you have a longer trailer or motorhome, be sure to confirm the length of the site that you reserve.
If you are traveling at night, be aware that the latest RV setup time is at 9:45 p.m.
Car camping is permitted in Unicoi State Park’s campground, but you must have a site reservation.
Walk-in primitive tent sites are available, as well.
Regardless of what type of camping you are enjoying, you will have access to these campground amenities:
- On-site laundry available at the Visitor Center
- Dump Station (located near Little Brook Campground area)
- Tent sites include fire rings, a picnic table and a grill top
- Golf carts permitted (only if street legal)
- Campground quite time: 10 PM – 7 AM
- Campground Restrooms and Showers
There are so many wonderful things to do in Unicoi State Park, such as
- Mountain biking trails
- Hiking trails
- Trails to nearby Alpine Helen and Anna Ruby Falls, one of the many waterfalls near Helen, GA
- Fishing on Unicoi Lake
- Unicoi Lake Beach
- Picnic shelters
- Pet friendly park
Vogel State Park
Located 30 minutes away from Alpine Helen along a scenic drive, the beautiful Vogel State Park campground and cabins are set amidst the backdrop of Blood Mountain and a 22-acre lake.
We have stayed at Vogel State Park and were thrilled with the campground. It is where we filmed our Intech Sol Horizon tour video, as well as the campground review video seen below.
Established in 1931, Vogel is Georgia’s second oldest State Park surrounded by the Chattahoochee National Forest.
Vogel State Park’s campground offers:
- 90 tent and RV campsites with full hook-ups
- 18 walk-in primitive tent sites
- 34 fully furnished modern and historic cottages
There is literally something for everyone at this state park! While we enjoyed our campsite, we were also really intrigued with the cabins and would love to stay in one of the cabins on the lake someday.
- 4 Picnic shelters and 1 Group shelter
- 1 Lake pavilion
- Sand Beach (seasonal)
- Civillian Conservation Corps Museum (seasonal)
- General Store
- Wi-Fi at the public areas: visitor center, museum, cottages, and picnic shelter
- Roku streaming in the cottages
- Hiking via 17 miles of trails
- Swimming (at the lakefront sand beach)
- Kayaks, paddle boards, and paddleboat rentals (seasonal)
Check out our video from our stay at Vogel State Park campground:
Don Carter State Park
Georgia’s only state park on the massive Lake Lanier, Don Carter State Park’s RV and camping offerings provide family’s and travelers a variety of opportunities to experience this beautiful park. Located 25 miles south of Helen, Georgia, Don Carter is the perfect getaway for those wanting to experience one of northwest Georgia’s best campgrounds.
From the sandy lakefront beach, to boat rentals, and hiking trails both RVers and tent campers have a variety of amenities to keep you busy when you’re not visiting the alpine, German-themed village of Helen. The campground amenities include:
- 46 RV, tent or trailer sites
- 8 cottages
- 14 primitive tent campsites
- 1,316 acre state park
- Boat ramp and docks
- Fishing and fish cleaning station
- Sand beach for swimming
- Gift store
- Outdoor fitness equipment and playground
- Biking, hiking, and boating (private boats allowed)
- Horseback Riding
- Paddling (8 miles of trails)
- Water skiing
- Kayaks, paddle boards, and other rentals (seasonal)
Andrews Cove Campground
If you love staying away from the crowds and really being out in nature, then we suggest Andrew’s Cove Campground located in the vast Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest.
This first-come-first-served campground is a 6 mile, 15-minute drive from Helen, Georgia.
The Andrews Cove Recreation Area offers RVers and campers stays up to a maximum of 14 continuous days in length.
The camground is open from mid-March through the end of October and provides 10 camping sites via a paved driving loop.
This campground is best for tent campers, Camper Vans, and Small RV’s or trailers (suggested 20 feet or less).
Amenities in this heavily wooded campground include:
- Fire rings
- Tent pads
- Lantern Posts
- Picnic table
- Vault toilets (with chemical flushes)
- Water pump (centralized water spigot)
- 6 creek-front campsites
- Spacious, wooded sites
- Hiking trail with access to the Appalachian Trail
- Fishing (Rainbow and Brown Trout) (permit required)
✅ Click here if for our RV Gear and Gift Guide!
Unicoi Springs Camp Resort
Unicoi Springs Camp Resort is a private RV park located approximately 3 miles from downtown Helen, Georgia. This gated RV campground has tons of amenities and is located on the 5-acre Unicoi Springs Lake.
Each of the 300 hundred sites have either a wood or a concrete pad.
Don’t have an RV but love camping? Unicoi Springs offers 21 rental units that includes 18 travel trailers and 3 cabins.
The campground, with a secured gate, offers a rustic clubhouse with a wrap-around porch to sit and relax.
Inside there are billiard tables, couches, Wi-Fi available, and fireplaces both inside and outside the clubhouse.
Other campground amenities include:
- 16 tent sites with electric, water, and cable hookups
- 300 sites with full hookups, including WiFi and Cable
- Five comfort stations around the park
- Year-round RV and golf cart storage
- Activity Center with a full kitchen and barbecue smoker
- Non-denominational chapel with Sunday services (April through October)
- Tennis courts
- Basketball court
- Pickle ball court
- Mini golf
- 2 Swimming pools
- Fishing lake and pier
- Picnic pavillion
- Free resort-wide high speed Wi-Fi
- Dump station
- Comfort Stations with laundry, showers, and restrooms
- Pet friendly campground
Looking for a private wooded campground close to all the popular North Georgia Mountain attractions? Check out Cherokee Campground, just a short 11 minute drive from downtown Helen.
This small but highly popular campground offers RVers and campers 38 wooded sites to choose from.
Open year-round, it is a great place to use as your home base when visiting Anna Ruby Falls, Lake Burton, or even Oktoberfest in Helen during the fall!
Campground amenities are:
- Back-in RV sites
- Circular RV sites
- Pull-through RV sites
- Tent camping sites
- Each site has 30 or 50 Amp electrical, water, and sewer hookups
- Tent sites offer electric and water hookups
- Cable TV and Wi-Fi hookups are available at the RV sites
- Basketball court
- Playground with pirate ship feature
- Covered play area
- Picnic area
- Shuffleboard and play field
- Recreation Hall with TV, table tennis, game table, and darts
Yonah Mountain Campground
Yonah Mountain Campground is located only 4 miles southeast of Helen, Georgia and offers a variety of camping options for travelers.
This pet-friendly and family-friendly campground has a variety of entertainment options. In fact, you might not want to even leave!
Pull-through sites are available, as well as back-in site and tent sites.
For several years, Yonah Mountain Campground has been awarded as the best campground in White County, Georgia to stay in the mountain region.
Open year-round, the campground is conveniently situated near all the region’s attractions such as the nearby Chattahoochee River, the Blue Ridge Mountains, the Cabbage Patch Babylon, waterfalls, and Brasstown Bald.
The campground offers the following:
- RV sites with full hook-ups (electric, water, and sewer)
- 30 or 50 Amp power
- Sitewide WiFi
- Swimming pool
- Bath houses and restrooms
- Picnic pavillion
- Fire rings
- Group tent camping area
- General store with ice, propane, firewood, snacks, etc.
- Fishing hole and supplies
- Live music concerts
- Bingo and fall hayrides
- Trick or Treating
- Hot dog and ice cream socials
- Campground Yard Sales
Yonah Mountain Vineyards has a great view of the mountain and is one of the best wineries in Helen, GA that we have been to!
If you are looking for quiet, adults-only RV campground near Helen, then we suggest Creekwood Resort.
Located in the mountains just a short 10 minute drive from downtown Helen, Creekwood Resort is a private, 21-years and older getaway.
There are 18 RV sites that, depending on the site, can accommodate large rigs and small RVs.
- Class A up to 43 feet
- Travel Trailers up to 38 feet
- Toy Haulers and Fifth Wheels up to 40 feet in length
RV check-in starts at 1 PM and ends at 8 PM, no late arrivals.
Creekwood offers discounts for extended stays, like week long stays for a minimum of 7 nights. In the slower months of January and February, ask about their reduced minimum night stay discounts when booking.
In addition to the RV sites, Creekwood also offers four fully furnished cabins with wide porches to lounge on. Each cabin has:
- Jacuzzi in the master bedroom
- Central A/C and Heat
- Satellite TV
- DVD and VCR
- Gas grill on the exterior deck
- Keurig and Mr. Coffee makers
- Wood burning fireplace (winter months only)